Drone videography has become the hottest trend in event marketing since the inception of social media. Drones are the best way to stand (or fly) above the crowd and generate a buzz (two drone puns in one sentence!). Utilizing drone footage before, during, and after an event can take your marketing efforts to the next level.
From indoor conferences to outdoor festivals, drones can be used for advertising and entertainment purposes for just about any event you host!
So what can you do with drone videography to enhance your event marketing and experience?
The two super-unique shots of a drone
Before the use of commercial drones, the only way to produce an aerial shot was to rent a helicopter and licensed pilot, send them up into the air at the perfect moment, and attempt to take some “fast shots.” Plus, you’d have to log your flight plans and get permits with the city. Not only is this expensive with a seriously high cost to entry for organizations, but it also uses up too much time and resources—while potentially disrupting the integrity of the event itself.
Drones make aerial shots a lot simpler, a lot higher quality, and a lot lower of a cost.
Drone videography is especially popular for events that have a lot of fast action, like sporting events. You can get a drone close to the action without getting in the way, and it can move and fly down the court or field right alongside the players. This gets closer than a photographer can, while enabling photographs and videos at the same time.
How to use drone videography for event marketing
- Fly your drone up into the air to get a bird’s eye view of everything going on during the event (or pre- or post-production). This captures the whole experience in an attention-grabbing way that your audience will adore.
- Live stream the event as it’s going on. Some drones have live streaming capabilities, so you can actually film the event from a number of angles to get a super-immersive video, that your followers at home can watch even if they couldn’t make it to the event. Live streaming also works great to show on monitors to give attendees a fuller and broader experience. **
- Show the behind the scenes as you’re getting ready for the event. Aerial photos of a stage being set up or a production being made can be a great way to generate excitement before the event.
- Take aerial photos or close up shots you can use in marketing materials for the next event. Professional photography elevates the perceived quality of an event, so next time around you can attract even more customers (and maybe at a higher price point).
- Put the drone in your show! You can fly drones around as part of the entertainment, and/or you can use them to help event attendees see other parts of the stage or venue for a uniquely immersive experience.
- Show an overview of all the activities you’re offering. For example, at a music festival, you can fly a drone over the space to show multiple stages and audiences at once.
- Drone videography works well to highlight a sponsor’s involvement in an event. You can use the drone shots to demonstrate where the sponsor’s booth is, where all their signs are, or how they’re participating. This works especially well if you’re not putting on the event yourself but want to create a sizzle reel of all your involvement.
**Utilize drone videography in tandem with regular live streaming videos on social media for event announcements to really get people excited about what’s going on.
Other uses of drones for your event
Looking for the perfect place to host an event? It’s hard to get an idea of a full space or property by just walking the grounds or looking at a map. Flying your drone over the property can give you a better sense of what it looks like, and you can then bring the footage back to your team for discussion and approval. You’ll get an aerial view of the space, and you can even capture hard-to-see areas for better mapping and planning.
You can then also use those drone shots to organize the event with an in-depth look at where everything is in the space.
How to leverage drone videography for your event
Drones produce high quality footage and photos, while saving you time and money compared to other traditional video forms. With unlimited versatility, you can do anything from live streaming drone footage to putting drones in the show!